Caring for your dentures
Care for your Dentures Robina
How to care for your dentures
There are two things you need to do to properly care for your dentures. The first thing is to follow a daily cleaning routine, and the second thing is yearly check-ups to monitor the fit and wear of your denture.
A daily cleaning routine involves cleaning your dentures by brushing and cleaning them with denture cleaning products. At your appointment, one of our team will recommend the best denture cleaning products to use. It is also a good idea to remove your dentures when you sleep. This allows massaging of the supporting tissues to encourage a healthy blood flow to the gums.
Another part of denture maintenance is getting relines. A reline is where new base material is added to the tissue side of the denture. This helps to keep the denture fitting properly. Relines are usually done every 4 years, of if you are experiencing issues with ongoing breakages or loss of bone.
Dos and don’ts of caring for dentures
What you should do
- Clean your dentures daily
- Leave your dentures out when sleeping
- Use a denture brush or soft toothbrush
What you shouldn’t do
- Don’t use toothpaste—it’s often too abrasive
- Don’t scrub too hard—remember a soft tooth brush is ideal
- Don’t use bleaching agents or hot water
Types for keeping dentures in optimal condition
- When you’re not wearing your dentures, store them in water (but not hot water).
- Ultrasonic baths are good for gently removing any build up on a denture
- Use dental cleaning powder or tablets every 2 to 3 weeks.
- Speak with your prosthetist about how often you should have a denture check-up
- For removable dentures you should consider a reline every 3 to 5 years. For implant supported dentures a reline every 2 years may be necessary.
If you would like to know more, or to request an appointment, please contact us today.